How to Save $100 a Month
- Tracy East
March 2, 2020
- Leave a comment
Living on a tight budget is a reality that many of us face. What if I told you that it’s possible to save $100 a month without working harder? We’d all probably like to save more, but it can seem hard to save even a small amount, let alone $100 every month.
Here are a few of my favorite places to get started if you want to save $100 a month. Start now and you could have a nice little nest egg saved by the end of the year!
How to Save $100 a Month
If you want to start saving, the first place to start is by evaluating where your money goes every month. Here are some hidden culprits that might be eating away at your savings potential:
- Dump your expensive landline or mobile plan: You can save money every month by using your mobile phone exclusively instead of paying for a landline. And when was the last time you checked your mobile plan? There could be considerable savings by switching to a cheaper plan.
- Check your cable TV plan: Chances are you could move to a lower tier plan with less channels and barely even notice. While you are at it, don’t forget to ask your provider if they have a cheaper plan available. We tend to stay with what we have for years without evaluating if there are better options available through our providers. This is another easy way to save money every month.
- Move to Streaming Instead: Better yet, instead of saving on your cable TV, you can cut cable completely by moving to a streaming provider for videos and TV shows online. This could easily save you $25-$50+ each month.
- Skip the Movie Theatre: The price of movie tickets seems to always go up. You can easily save on a night out with your family by waiting to see the movie at your local dollar theater or waiting for it to be released on DVD. Enjoy a night at home with the family, pop some popcorn, cuddle up under a blanket and save another $30-$40.
- Pack Your Lunch: A simple way to save $50+ each month is by committing to packing your lunch instead of buying food out a few days each week. It’s hard to get even a fast-food meal for less than $8-$10 these days, and if you buy lunch a few days a week, you could be spending more than you realize. Take yourself a sandwich or a salad instead, or make up some of your favorite meals and freeze them for work lunches. You might even find that it’s much healthier for you and your waistline!
- Just Say No To Bank Fees: Have you evaluated your bank accounts lately? There’s no reason for you to have accounts that charges you fees, yet many people are paying these fees every month without even being aware. Shop around in your area and find a local bank or credit union that doesn’t charge fees. This could save you $10-$20 a month in fees.
- Drink More Water: The cost of soda and other drinks can quickly add up. By drinking more water, you’ll be benefiting your health and your budget! If you’re used to buying coffee on the go, especially the pricey coffee house drinks, you could save significantly!
By doing even a few things on this list, you can quickly find room in your budget to save $100 a month. There’s very little effort required to evaluate where your money is going and making small adjustments that can add up to big savings for you!
What are your favorite ways to come up with some quick cash when you’re trying to save? Share your ideas with us in the comments!
The CESI Team is committed to helping you reach your financial goals. If debt keeps you from living the life you dream of, contact us for a free debt analysis today and get started on the road to a brighter future!