How to Save $100 a Month
- Tracy EastBy
March 28, 2018
- Leave a comment
A tight budget is a reality that many of us face. What if I told you that you could save $100 a month without working harder? We’d all probably like to save more, but it seems hard to save even a small amount, let alone $100 every month. Here are a few of my favorite places to get started if you want to save$100 a month. Start saving now and you could have a nice little nest egg saved by the end of the year!
How to Save $100 a Month
If you want to start saving, the first place to start is by evaluating where your money goes every month. Here are some hidden culprits that might be eating away at your savings opportunity:
- One of the simplest ways to save is by dumping your home phone and just using your mobile phone. A surprising number of people keep a landline simply because they’ve gotten used to always having one. That landline could be costing you anywhere from $20-$40 a month.
- Have satellite or cable TV? Check your plan. Do you really have to spend the extra $10-$20 for premium channels you probably rarely watch? Chances are you could move to a lower tier plan with less channels and barely even notice. While you are at it, don’t forget to ask your provider if they have a cheaper plan available. We tend to stay with what we have for years without evaluating if there are better options available through our providers. This is another easy way to save money every month.
- Better yet, instead of saving on your cable TV, you can cut cable completely by moving to a streaming provider for videos and TV shows online. This could easily save you $25-$50+ each month.
- The price of movie tickets seems to always go up. On the other hand, movies tend to be released to the 2nd run theaters and on DVD fairly quickly these days. You can easily save on a night out with your family by waiting to see the movie at your local dollar theater or waiting for it to be released on DVD. Enjoy a night at home with the family, pop some popcorn, cuddle up under a blanket and save another $30-$40.
- A simple way to save $50+ each month is by committing to packing your lunch instead of buying food out several days a week. It’s hard to get even a fast-food meal for less than $8-$10 these days, and if you buy lunch a few days a week, you could be spending more than you realize. Take yourself a sandwich or a salad instead, or make up some of your favorite meals and freeze them for work lunches. You might even find that it’s much healthier for you and your waistline!
- Have you evaluated your bank accounts lately? There’s no reason for you to have accounts that charges you fees, yet many people are paying these fees every month without even being aware. Shop around in your area and find a local bank or credit union that doesn’t charge fees. This could save you $10-$20 a month in fees.
By doing even a few things on this list, you can quickly find room in your budget to save $100 a month. There’s very little effort required to evaluate where your money is going and making small adjustments that can add up to big savings for you!
What are your favorite ways to come up with some quick cash when you’re trying to save? Share your ideas with us in the comments!
The CESI Team is committed to helping you reach your financial goals. If debt keeps you from living the life you dream of, contact us for a free debt analysis today and get started on the road to a brighter future!