CESI Financial Blog

Get Debt Consolidation Options

Call Now! (866) 484-5373

How Does Credit Card Dispute Work Infographic

what happens when you dispute a charge

Have you ever found charges you did not make on your credit card? Or, have you been billed for merchandise you did not receive? Have you ever experienced a payment not being posted to your account? While frustrating, these errors can be corrected. It takes a little patience and knowledge of the credit card dispute process. Our handy infographic will walk you through how credit card dispute works, and help you understand your rights during the credit card dispute process.

how does credit card dispute work

If you are experiencing financial difficulty and are looking for a solution, non-profit credit counseling can help you make sense of all your options. Contact us today for a free financial assessment with one of our certified credit counselors.

CESI_Multiview_728_902

12 Responses to How Does Credit Card Dispute Work Infographic

1. Angel Hernandez says:

Hi my Nordstrom card was charged a very large amount twice in the same day. The credit card was in my possession when I went to pay my bill I saw this high transaction and I had reported they put the amount back into my account. Now they took the amount back and I am being charged I don’t understand why and how it was possible for them to charge me for something I didn’t buy I would think they would call before making such a big transaction twice in the same day. Now I am being charged can you please help me what can I do I can’t be paying for something I didn’t commit

• Tracy East says:

Hi Angel – I’m sure it is frustrating to think the issue was resolved and then find out it was not! Before you do anything else, I would contact the creditor and make sure there was not a simple billing error that caused the second issue. Sometimes, speaking to a customer service rep is all it takes to resolve an issue like this. If that doesn’t work, ask to speak to a manager and explain what has happened to them. It’s helpful if you keep records of everyone you spoke to and when so you have a clear picture of all the communications you have had with the creditor. If that doesn’t resolve the issue, you can then begin an official dispute of the charge. Best of luck – let us know how it turns out!

2. Michele says:

In my case, i being ripped off by a online furniture merchant & unfortunately, the credit card company has sided on behalf of merchant. I received copy of letter merchant sent to CC company. However, I discovered the merchant wrote a false statement, that I’m sure is what decided the outcome “The delivery co contacted customer to schedule delivery date, however he refused & cancelled order”.
    So, I ordered a copy of the cell phone call log for both my contact #s to prove their was never any contact by the delivery company or merchant. Today, I sent CC company a response letter with the proof…
    Do you think they will review this information proving the merchant statement is false?

• Tracy East says:

Hi Michele – it’s so frustrating to have a situation like this happen. It can take a lot of time to resolve, but it sounds like you are on the right track. I can’t say for sure whether the credit card company will respond in your favor, but with proof that you had no contact with the delivery company, you stand a much better chance of having the issue resolved in your favor. Kudos for staying on top of doing whatever you need to do to resolve the matter. Let us know how it turns out!

3. David says:

I need help. I have been disputing unauthorized charges on my Pay Pal Mastercard since October. The creditor is not crediting my account for the unauthorized charges. I have submitted a letter, made several calls and sent faxes. I don’t know what to do next. The have responded by saying the claim has been closed and I am responsible for the charges. I have never ordered any merchandise from the merchants that collected the unauthorized charges. What are my options?

4. Amy Mason says:

My mothers SSI Direct Express card numbers were stolen (not the card) for over $900.00. When she noticed, she immediately called Direct Express to file the dispute. Even though half of the orders were still “processing” and fraudulent orders had not been mailed out, they said they could not cancel the order. My mother cancelled her card, filled out all the paperwork that they sent her promptly, and yet she was still denied for all but one charge (even the orders that were still pending that they could have stopped payment on). When she has tried to fight it with them, and asked for a supervisor, they say they don’t have any supervisors. Since then I have been trying to do our research, and I am so disheartened that with Direct Express, this is not that uncommon. My mother like so many disabled and elderly are on a fixed income, and without the help from me and my sister, things could have been really bad. My question is, can anything else be done, if they will not help her any further? If you look up on the BBB website, you can see how many other people across the country have had this, and worse happen to their money with this card, and all the same result. They will not refund the money that was stolen from them. I was hoping that since they are tied with our government, there can be another route she can take. Any direction from you would be soo much appreciated

5. sk says:

A contractor received payment by ACH, then billed each of two credit cards for the same service, i.e. he triple billed me. One off the credit cards is from a major bank, which is FDIC insured. Does this constitute a federal offense?

• Tracy East says:

While I can say for certain being charged more than once for the same service is disputable and should be able to be handled through your credit card company, I can’t answer whether it’s a federal offense. You may want to consider filing a complaint with both the BBB and the FTC at https://www.ftccomplaintassistant.gov

6. Alex G says:

My order from Walmart was $1,900 that required signature was delivered and signed by someone else no idea who or where. I never received the product. I filed police report and sent to Walmart. They say because it was signed regardless it wasn’t me, they can’t issue refund and asked me to file dispute charge with my credit card company. I just filed the dispute and sent them police report and tracking information as well that clearly states the name it was signed and collected by. I will get temp credit and case will be resolved within 90 days, as you stated. What is your take on it since i am very nervous given it is a big amount. I did everything by the book. I hope I get justice. I don’t even know what’s the point of signature if it can be signed and collected by anyone or the delivery guy fakes it to keep packages

• Tracy East says:

Alex – it sounds like you’ve done everything right and by the book. Sometimes it can take a bit for the process to play out, but we’re pulling for you to have full resolution. Let us know how it goes!