If you are getting inundated with graduation announcements and are at a loss for what to get for a grad, here are some great frugal ideas that will allow you to celebrate their special moment and won’t break the bank.
High School Graduates
1. Towels – inexpensive and always in use. Find a fun print or a color that matches the personality of your grad for that “extra” touch.
2. Create your own gift basket filled with basic groceries or dorm necessities. These can be very inexpensive if you stick to the small stuff. Dollar stores have some great essentials that will allow you to stock up for a low price.
3. Even if you aren’t crafty, this one is a cinch. Grab a canvas bag and an iron-on patch with their future school logo/mascot and make them a custom tote bag.
4. Get them ready for the fall with notebooks, pens, highlighters, etc. This can be an inexpensive way to give a useful gift and save your grad some money come August.
1. Buy a new or used (or give your own copy) of your favorite book about “life” that you feel is inspirational during this transition. Include a personal inscription in the cover for a meaningful gift that they will cherish for years.
2. Check out your local craft store for an inexpensive diploma frame for your grad to display their hard-earned degree. Many of these stores have sales throughout the year (and coupons) so you can snag a great frame at a reduced price.
3. If you are looking for a small gift, try finding a graduation ornament online. You can use craft paint to put the year of their graduation on the ornament or write the year and the school on the back.
4. If you really want to give your college graduate a present, avoid such potentially discouraging statements as “What can you do with that degree?,” “Do you have a job lined up?,” or “Now the fun is over and the real world starts.”
Image source: fungiftideas.org
Consumer Education Services, Inc. (CESI) is a non-profit service provider of comprehensive personal financial education and solutions for all life stages and for all of life’s milestones. Our goal is enhanced economic security for everyone we serve.
CESI is NOT A LOAN COMPANY