Happy Earth Day! To celebrate and bring awareness to conservation efforts, we have compiled a list of easy ways you can “go green” for Earth Day in your home. Adopt one or all of these strategies this Earth Day, then carry them on throughout the spring and beyond and see what a difference you can make in your home, your community, and the world.
1. Recycle! If you have recycle pick-up, this should be a very simple task. If not, band together with your neighbors and take turns collecting recycling and dropping it off at your local recycling center.
2. Use reusable bags when you go grocery shopping. This eliminates the need for plastic bags and depending on your town or the store, it can save you money. Some towns charge for plastic bags and stores like Trader Joes offer incentives for bringing your own bags to shop. If you forget your bag, opt for paper over plastic and recycle the bags once you arrive home.
3. Forgo bottled water and save money by filling up reusable water bottles instead. If you’re not a fan of tap water, you can get a water filtration system like Brita at a reasonable cost.
5. Try to limit time on the road and gas consumption by condensing the amount of errands you run. Make a list for the week and combine trips by visiting stores that are close together.
6. Grow your own fruits and veggies or start a community garden! If you’re not into that idea, try to buy local as much as you can. You can start by frequenting your local farmer’s market.
7. Cut your shower by 5 minutes and you could save over 4,000 gallons of water a year!
What are your favorite “green” tips?
Image Source: www.earth911.com
Consumer Education Services, Inc. (CESI) is a non-profit service provider of comprehensive personal financial education and solutions for all life stages and for all of life’s milestones. Our goal is enhanced economic security for everyone we serve.
CESI is NOT A LOAN COMPANY